This post is a part of A-Z Challenge for bloggers, that takes place every year in the month of April. Bloggers take part in this challenge for self improvement and to overcome the “writer’s block”. Each one of us writes one article everyday, starting from the alphabet ‘A’, right up to ‘Z’. My theme for this year’s challenge is – mind-blowing facts and theories.
PROLOGUE: Almost all of us have played the very famous game – “Name, Place, Animal, Thing”, and most of us have had a little problem with the letter ‘X’. Well, the same is the case today. As I wasn’t able to come up with something starting with the letter ‘X’, I cheated a little (I checked with the challenge guidelines, this cheating is allowed). So, today I’m writing with the ‘sound of X’.
The human body is no less than a wonder. It is one of God’s finest and the most complex creations after all. Here are some startling facts about the human body.
- If all of the blood vessels in the human body were to be laid end to end, it would encircle the Earth four times!
- Humans are the only animals with chins. Yes, other animals just have a lump of bone that protrudes forward from the lower jaw, which is very different from a human chin.
- We mainly breath with only one nostril at a time. Our intelligent body auto switches the workload in shifts from one dominant nostril to the other, without us even realizing! So, at a given moment, when we’re breathing through our nose, a large share of the air is going in and out of one nostril, while a much smaller amount is passing through the other.
- The human nose can detect around 1 trillion types of smells. (God, we’re amazing!)
- All human beings are 99.9% identical on a genetic level. What makes us unique is a measly 0.1% of our genome! But, this not so insignificant human genome is made up of 3 billion base pairs.
- Cornea of the eye is the only part of the body that has no blood supply. It receives oxygen directly from the air.
- The human brain has a memory capacity equivalent to more than four terabytes on a hard drive! (WOW! Should we throw out the hard discs then??)
- The brain sent nerve impulses move at a speed of 274 km/h.
- The amount of electrical impulses generated by a single human brain in a day is more than those generated by all the telephones of the world combined!
- An average human body contains enough Sulfur to kill all the fleas on a dog, enough Carbon to make 900 pencils, enough fat to make seven bars of soap and enough water to fill a 50-litre barrel!
- Human body keeps constantly replacing old cells with new ones at the rate of millions per second. So, by the time you finish reading this sentence, almost 50 million of your cells would have died and been replaced by others!